Friday, June 1, 2012

In a sentimental mood



There were so many reasons why I loved making this beautiful white on white 5-tiered wedding cake. The bride has impeccable taste and an eye for design. The groom is a chef at one of Vancouver's top new restaurants. And best of all, it was a display cake to be presented at the Terminal City Club which is where we celebrated our nuptials over eight years ago. My love of display cakes is no secret, giving me time to construct and decorate at my leisure, which is very intermittent and scarce these days, as well as not causing any oven/refrigerator space capacity issues.
 

Details

The white on white piping is so gorgeous because the play of light and shadow brings the texture alive rather than using a contrasting colour. The draped fondant piece hiding behind the flowers provides an elegant detail. But the dramatic pink peonies (my new favourite flowers) elevate the cake to another level, bringing style and flair. Delivering the wedding cake was very sentimental as my husband and baby B accompanied me to the Terminal City Club, where 8 years ago I was set on a path which led to pediatric ophthalmology and the idea of baby B seemed faint and distant. The change in my life has been unimaginable but certainly positive. I wish the happy couple all the best for the next 8 years and beyond!

7 comments:

Fionna said...

Charm, that is so so so so so lovely! Not just the cake (of course!) but your story that goes with it. Smile.

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

Stunning. Absolutely stunning! My hand is cramping at the thought of all that piping.

Anonymous said...

i'm in vancouver too... do you have a website where you sell your cakes? they're awesome!

Gerry @Foodness Gracious said...

Beautiful work! Such a shame (in a way) to eat it but that's how it should be enjoyed too.

Janet@janetsapron.com said...

That is a breath-taking cake! I love peony's and I can't believe how real they look on the cake. Your piping work is simply beautiful!

Unknown said...

So incredibly gorgeous! i hope you dont mind but i wanted to share it with my readers and linked it up to our new wednesday link up at katies language cafe! looks to pretty to eat! ~~Katie

Priya said...

So beautifully you have decorated this cake. Its so eye catchy design that i have ever seen in my entire life. I wont ever like to cut it rather i wish i could preserve it forever