Sunday, May 9, 2010

So cute

A Baby Shower - Sesame Street cupcakes

I grew up with Sesame Street during the 1970's, part of the generation who knew who Mr. Hooper, Bob, and Gordon were. Tunes like "Ladybug Picnic" still occasionally get hummed and I have been known to count like The Count at times. Ah ah ah ah...

A Baby Shower - Elmo & Big Bird cupcakes

So when Winnifred asked me to make Sesame Street themed cupcakes for the children at the baby shower, I was excited even though in general, I am not a fan of cupcakes. Maybe it's because there are so many disgusting cupcakes sold everywhere everyday which turn me off, along with the routine massive buttercream tumour which some people love.

A Baby Shower - Oscar & Cookie Monster cupcakes

We picked four popular hairy/feathery characters, Elmo, Oscar, Cookie Monster, and Big Bird in order to take advantage of the convenient star piping tip and colour combination. The face details were made from fondant and I admit that I spent an unnecessary amount of time focusing on their ocular appearance. Oscar has the most healthy eyes while Cookie Monster has a severe skew deviation which he does not seemed too concerned about.

A Baby Shower - REAGAN cupcakes

These goodies, including the macarons and cake shown in my previous post, were all for a guest who has yet to arrive named Reagan. She will be here soon and hopefully she will love beautiful sweet things just like her Auntie Winnifred.

12 comments:

Lavender Playground said...

Your cupcakes are delightful and the attention to detail is amazing. I learned English by watching Sesame St as a kid and I love the show dearly.

Memória said...

You did a fantastic job on these!! I like the ones with "REAGAN" spelled out. The colors and letters are perfect. I think the eyes look great on both characters. Also, Cookie Monster's always looked crazy and all-over-the-place, so you can't go wrong with him. :D

thecoffeesnob said...

Hi Charmaine. I came by your blog via the gorgeous photo of Elmo on FoodGawker.

These are adorable! Especially love how you made the Cookie Monster's eyes slightly wonky! :D

thecoffeesnob said...

Oh can I also say how glad I stumbled upon your site? Everything is gorgeous!

No prizes for guessing what I'll be doing the rest of the day ;)

Treats SF said...

These cupcakes are so cute!!! Love your designs!

Anonymous said...

I agree, these cupcakes are so cute!!! This post reminds me my childhood.

Amanda Darvill said...

Charmaine - I love the Sesame Street cupcakes. My almost 2-year-old daughter watches Sesame Street once in a while and recognizes and seems to adore Elmo and Cookie Monster. I may attempt these for her 2nd birthday party. Do you make your own fondant or purchase it? What size star tip did you use? Thanks for the inspiration!

Charmaine said...

Amanda: Yes, I make my own fondant. I used an #823. Good luck!

Chris said...

Hi What did you use for the eyes? I love these!!

Charmaine said...

Chris: Fondant

Christina said...

Hi Charmaine! These cupcakes are too cute! Did you make Big Bird's beak or did you purchase it? If you made it, how? If you purchased it, where? ��

Tammy said...

Did you colour your own frosting or buy it ready made?

What's your fondant recipe?